I went in EVERY DAY this week, which is a great preview for student teaching. I was actually fairly pleased and received a compliment from my CT because she said she thinks I’m fully ready for student teaching. Last year she said she wouldn’t have let her student teacher start right away and wouldn’t have even considered leaving him alone with the class, but she thinks I’m ready for teaching right away and I’ll be starting right away on the 23rd. I did a good amount of observing this week, and my CT has started to show me the smaller aspects of her classroom and how to work all the technology and pretty much every aspect of the classroom that I’ll need when I first start. I did my microteaching today, (and also this coming Monday), which was quite exciting, but I’ll be reflecting more on that on Monday after doing the second lesson to see how things worked out.

This week was pretty standard for my CT, especially since I taught today instead of her. But I did want to mention what she did yesterday with her A&P students, which I thought was a really fun lesson. She was teaching on taste and smell, which most people do not realize are very closely related. Her lesson consisted pairing up the students and having them taste jelly beans, once with their noses plugged (with their hands) and once without them plugged. The students were AMAZED at how much better they did guessing which flavor jelly bean they were tasting with their noses unplugged than how they did with their noses closed. They had ZERO idea about how much smell influences taste.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching this lesson, because this is something that I pretty much thought was common sense. Thinking forward to job interviews, I know potential employers will ask me what I believe my potential strengths and weaknesses are, which I’ll have the same answer for: my content knowledge. I know that it is imperative to have a strong content knowledge to effectively teach any science at the high school level, but at the same time, I’ll start lecturing and won’t emphasize things that are imperative to student learning because I’ll think that it is common sense, even though many things won’t actually be. For instance, today in my microteaching a student asked me what the colored part of the eye is, and I simply answered “the iris”. However, Dr. Matkins pointed out that I should’ve repeated her question to the entire class and then answered, rather than just simply telling her the answer to her question. To me, knowing that the iris is the colored part of the eye is common sense, but to them, it is absolutely NOT common sense. This is something I need to work on.

I’m looking forward to finishing up my “science circus” on Monday with all of my corrections. I hope you guys will actually read what I have to say, because it should be quite an interesting reflection. Have a great weekend!