It’s been fun guys, but let’s face it. It’s time for a break:) I went in to school yesterday, and it was a very interesting day. It was a B day, so I had 1st period Biology, 2nd period Biology, and 3rd period Anatomy. 1st and 2nd period used the PRS system called “Qwizdom” to review for an upcoming test, and they also reviewed by copying notes onto their “unit folders” which will be turned in for a grade and returned to them later on in the year before the SOL as a review. If you read my blog last week, recall that I was bothered by my CT’s misspelling of the word “received”. I had a similar experience this week. When talking about the term nondisjunction, she wrote on the board “occurs when chromosomes¬† fail to seperate” and “results in to few chromosomes in a cell or to many chromosomes in a cell.” I know this is silly to be reflecting about, but I was hoping for some feedback from someone. Would you say something to your CT’s about these misspellings? Furthermore, in the review game, one of the questions she had made was referring to the surface area to volume ratio of cells. The question was “if a box is 4x4x4, what is the surface area?” Recall that surface area is the area of one of the sides multiplied by the number of sides, so the answer should be 96 cm^2, but she had the answer listed as 16 cm^2. When one of the students said “but Mrs. Ellis, it’s a box, not a square,” my CT said that that didn’t matter and the answer is the length times the width. I didn’t want to make her lose control of the class or call her out for teaching something wrong, so I kept my mouth shut, but now I kinda wish I would have said something to help out the students. What would you guys have done in my situation?

Anatomy was much more fun, and was the reason I went in on Thursday this week. They did a heart dissection (not sure what kind of heart though, I probably should’ve asked). I was quite surprised with how my CT ran the dissection though. My CT is usually very big on keeping everything very structured, but with the dissection she just had the students get in groups, get a heart, cut it open, and point out about 8 different structures. Most of the students seemed to get bored with it really quickly since they weren’t sure what they were looking at and they didn’t have any motivation to figure it out since it wasn’t for a grade. It resulted in one or two students in each group playing with the heart for about 10 minutes while the others just sat and talked. I’m glad I got to see this because I’ll be leading a cat dissection while I’m student teaching. I’m thinking that I’m going to structure it like my college anatomy classes were structured. I’ll have step-by-step instructions for the students, letting them know what and where to cut, and what structures are to be identified at each point. I’ll also have some sort of worksheet that they fill out so that I know they are actually doing the dissection and aren’t just poking around the cat.