Demonstration Reflection

November 30th, 2010 | Uncategorized |

I went in on Monday morning to teach a lesson on mitosis. I had prepared my demonstration as a clay-mation of the process of mitosis, showing that mitosis is a dynamic process rather than the 4 static pictures that people see of the different phases. With the help of some good friends, I was able to make the clay-mation successfully and uploaded all the pictures, as well as the slide show, to my flash drive to take to school. When I got to school Monday morning, the server was down and I could not show the demo:( Nevertheless, I was still teaching the lesson, so I had to teach like the teachers did in the good ole days and wrote and drew pictures on the board. The students were absolutely wonderful about it. They are usually a very chatty class, but they were absolutely silent the entire period (granted it was the first day and period back from Thanksgiving break). They paid attention and wrote everything down, and seemed to enjoy the activities that I had planned.

I also taught the same lesson to 2AB, which is shorter and meets everyday, so the next day I was able to show the demo to them. It went great! 2AB is a very talkative class and was harassing me the entire previous day on my handwriting. When I uploaded the claymation, not only were they impressed that I was actually able to do that, they told me I should use play-doh for everything in class instead of writing anything on the board ever again. Afterward I led the discussion on the dynamic nature of mitosis. For instance, during prophase, the nuclear envelope disintegrates, but it doesn’t just magically disappear. It breaks down piece by piece, not all at one time. In the notes I gave them on mitosis, I had them drawing pictures for each phase, but the pictures are static. The focus here was on the dynamics of the process, as well as giving them a visual to see the process. However, I’m just sure that they fully understood the take home message here. The activity that I led after this (my next post) was a flip book of mitosis, but the students were having a hard time visualizing the intermediate stages and were only able to draw the pictures from their notes. I drew an example on the board, going from interphase to prophase, which seemed to help clear up some confusion, but I had hoped the demonstration would have worked better in respect to this.