I’ll be doing 2 posts this week so that I can keep them separated. I went in on Monday and substituted for my CT, and then I did my microteaching with Amy on Wednesday and Thursday. So this post will be about Monday, and then I’ll do another about the microteaching.

So Monday was quite interesting. I had 3 classes to teach and had “lunch duty”. My first issue came early on in the morning when I had trouble getting the projector working for the morning announcements. I like to think of myself as a fairly smart guy when it comes to technology, but I could not figure out the system to save my life. Turns out of all the channels it could be on, the projector has to be on channel 81. Who would’ve guessed? After the announcements ended, I gave my first period class (Anatomy and Physiology) a quiz, then they finished working on “tissue boxes” which are pieces of paper folded into a cube and on each side of the cube they added decorations to be a different type of epithelial tissue. They were very well behaved and class went well.

2nd period was a different story. 2nd period is biology, and she had left some work to do that they started on Friday. However, the class had already finished their assignment, so they essentially had nothing to do. Luckily, I was somewhat prepared and ended up giving them all the tests I needed done for our needs assessment for Content Area Reading and Writing, and after they finished I walked around and kept them behaved by trying to learn their names, over and over again, but they did get quite noisy after a while. I was very excited for that bell to ring. After second period comes lunch (I know, lunch after 2nd period??? that’s just not right). On A days I have lunch duty, which means I go into the cafeteria and stand and watch the kids. I felt quite awkward, since I don’t really know many of the students or other teachers, so standing there feels weird.  Lunch got even stranger when I ended up standing near one of my old high school friend’s little brother, who now lives in York County. I hadn’t seen Joe since I was in high school and he was in middle school (maybe even elementary school), so standing there as his “teacher” felt very strange.

My day ended with my favorite class, 4th period biology. They are very well behaved and quite smart, so they are every teacher’s dream class. They hadn’t finished the classwork from last Friday, so they sat and did their work quietly. I also got to help many of them one-on-one with questions they had, especially those that forgot their book, so I got to feel like a real teacher. After class I was talking with the real substitute for the day (since I’m not a licensed sub, there was another sub there with orders saying “Mr. Brooks is in charge”) and she only had nice things to say about the day, so I felt very good after my first day in-charge. I’ll be doing another day or 2 next week, and my CT says I’ll actually be able to teach real content, so I’m very excited for that.

2 Responses to “Practicum Reflection Week 4? I believe”

1. I think technology failure is one of the things im most nervous about when it comes to starting subbing next week. Since I dont have a sub who has been there before to give me help if I need it, and all of my CTs powerpoints for the period long lectures are on the computer, if I had projector failure
    I would have nothing to to with the kids. Im glad you had a plan, I dont know what I would do with my bio class in that situation, my AP Chem class would probably happily work on hw for their other classes. Having a real sub there would be nice to get feedback since I havent gotten much so far. Hopefully when you get real content to teach its not a period long lecture of it!!

2. There are books full of backup lesson plans for subs who run out of stuff for the class to do. I believe there are even some in the LRC. You both might want to take a look (as well as your classmates) and prepare a folder of backup ideas as a safety net. Many of your classes will be fine with nothing to do, but some will not (you know who they are!).