I was finally able to go to my school this week, and I had an interesting couple of days. My initial meeting was supposed to be with Mr. Harker, the lead clinical faculty, and Ms. Fox, the Principal, but Ms. Fox had a situation arise and was never able to join us. After about 45 minutes Mr. Harker walked me down to meet my teacher, Ms. Ellis. Ms. Ellis is very nice, but we were not able to talk about much of what we’d be doing this year because she had cafeteria duty as soon as I got there, so I got to stand in the cafeteria for half an hour watching students eat and pretend that I’m an actual authority figure (a couple of students actually asked me for permission to use the bathroom, I felt important:) ). Ms. Ellis then gave me a quick tour of the school before sending me on my way.

Later that night I came back for “Back to School Night”. Ms. Ellis let me introduce myself to every class of parents, and then I ran the powerpoint presentation for her so that I didn’t feel completely useless. It was nice to see the parents come out, but since I don’t know any of the kids I wasn’t really able to put parents’ faces with students’ faces.

I went back again yesterday to do my first observations and was able to observe one of her Anatomy and Physiology classes. It was definitely a little weird being in an observation role in the classroom rather than a student. The students had to do a “body systems relay” race and it was very hard for me not to help the students when  I heard them struggling over how to label different structures. Her students seem very nice and I’m definitely looking forward to student teaching and being able to teach them myself.

3 Responses to “Practicum reflection numero dos”

1. Sounds like you had your first introduction to the realities of the teacher workday – the duty period! Often back to school night is so early that the teacher does not really know the students by then.

2. I know exactly what you mean about wanting to help your students. Sometimes when my CT asks a question or students are struggling, I’m almost bursting with the answer! My CT is so under control, always asking his students what they think the answer is or if they’ve asked their peers yet. I’m doing well holding back so that they can work together to figure out the answer. After spending so many years being expected to know and and give the answers, it’s definitely a new way of thinking!

3. Are you sure Mrs. Ellis would mind if you did try out some of those open-ended questions Kristen’s CT uses, as well as maybe even some scaffolding questions when they’re stuck? This is something you can ask her, and you can monitor for yourself whether or not you’re telling too much. She’ll probably let you know, also.